Thursday, January 14, 2010

Productivity

Despite being holed up in my pajamas for most of the week, I'm feeling rather productive today. My books were mailed out to most of the bloggers I contacted, and I sent in my long, LONG list of typos. Now I just have to hope that they agree to fix them all. (prays)

I'm slightly nervous about the reviews of my book- I mean, who wouldn't be? But I figure at least ONE blogger has to like it, and either way it might get some people to take a look at the book (or my blog). I'm also looking for bloggers who do a cover feature. The cover of my book isn't amazing, but it's interesting-looking, and obviously if more people see the cover more people will know the book exists.

One thing that surprised me was that, while I was looking for typos, I started actually READING the book and realizing how much I feel for all the characters. I hope they don't all sound like me, heh. Or maybe I'm going to start sounding like them?

My mom is a fervent Diana Gabaldon fan (though from what I hear this last book was a bit disappointing) and every once in a while I hear her ask, "If I love the characters in that book, does that mean I'm in love with Diana Gabaldon?"

Well, I don't think so. But it's hard to say, isn't it? How much of an author actually GOES into each character? Creating a person, whether physically or mentally, is quite a task (obviously if you're doing it physically it's a much more challenging endeavor).
Is Edward Cullen really just a warped version of Stephenie Meyer? What about Patch from Hush, Hush (which I still need to read)? Is he really just Becca Fiztpatrick? Did I spell her name correctly? Were all the Austen men based on Jane Austen's lovers? Even for a writer, it's hard to say.
In my case, I wouldn't suggest that I'm anything like Sid, but that Sid is more like someone that I'd like to meet. That's how I generally think of characters, as people that I am finding and getting to know, or people that I want in my life. Sometimes they come out as a weird mixture of people I already know, but for the most part nobody's based on or mimicking one specific real person.
I don't think my mom's in love with Diana Gabaldon. But who knows? Maybe half the nation is really just in love with Stephenie Meyer.
That's a little creepy...

No comments:

Post a Comment