Saturday, January 16, 2010

People/Books/Shiver

I read a little more of Shiver at the library, and I have to say, I've decided I don't have a big problem with Grace just yet. I only got a little over 100 pages in, but I haven't gotten to a point where I've started thinking anything about the character implies misogyny. She hasn't gotten on my nerves either- I like her attitude towards a lot of things, she isn't as passive as I was expecting (though I sometimes wish she would take her parents and shake them, I know I want to). In fact, she's pretty good at taking charge. And she's funny!
Obviously I'm going to have to actually finish the book before I can make my final decision, but she isn't getting on my nerves (and neither is Sam).

Last night, or actually, this morning, as I was falling asleep, I started assembling a list of things I like and don't like in books and characters and significant others. I know, it's a little odd for me to be thinking about all of those things at the same time, but given the circumstances it made sense. All I've been doing for the last two weeks (and I am so grateful!) is talking about books and seeing my family and friends. And, just as we all know what we like and don't like in books and movies, even pieces of art, we have to know what we like and dislike in people, or we could go horribly wrong in life.

These lists sometimes overlap, too, but I'm not going to go into some sort of heavy description of that because I don't want to put implications about my life in here. But there are a few things I CAN say. I LOVE funny people- my friends are generally the people who can make me laugh. Lo and behold, I love funny books! And I try to write funny scenes as well.
What I have noticed is that it can be really hard for me to find books that really make me laugh, so when I do, I remember them. For instance, last year I read "The Breakup Bible" by Melissa Kantor, and I can still remember how much it made me laugh, even though parts of it were really serious. Good book, that one.

What is the point of this? What does it have to do with "Shiver"? Well, Grace seems like someone I could be friends with. She doesn't seem like she looks at her peers with the same sort of condescension that I get from the Twilight books. Also, at some point maybe I'll make my pro/con book list an entry in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment